Sunday, August 11, 2013

Review: Gone Girl

Title: Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
Publisher: Crown

******************

Synopsis from Book:

Marriage can be a real killer.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.


******************************

I will admit it. Hearing how Gone Girl was first going to be made into a movie made me gravitate towards the book.....but we will get to that in a minute. I knew how this was the must read book of 2012; coworkers were talking about it up a storm. So yes, I decided to give it a try. In the end, I had very mixed feelings about it.

Starting with what I liked first would definitely be the author's writing style. I have not read any of Gillian Flynn's other books, but I found her to be a very good writer. She was engaging and kept me so through the duration of the book. I also liked the general plot line of the book itself. A man accused of murdering his wife on their fifth anniversary? It sounds like something right out of "Criminal Minds" or some such thing. For me, though, I did not find Gone Girl creepy. Psychologically creepy and disturbing, yes, but physically creepy, no.

But I did struggle with a few things in this book. For one thing, all of the language. There came to a place where I nearly put the book down; the sexual comments were getting a bit much. So then, I skimmed the material, as I did want to see how it would end. I got annoyed with some of the "sex scenes" that were in it....so I skimmed those too. While I commended Ms. Flynn's style, I wish she had not relied on these things so much. Depending on who wanted to read it would influence if I recommended it or not. 

My favorite thing about Gone Girl? The fact that neither Amy or Nick are likable characters. It is kind of fun to read a novel where you hate both of them, where you want to see their demise. Which leads me to the upcoming movie. I personally believe that Ben Affleck will be absolutely perfect as Nick. He will walk the line between the doting husband and the man who wants to kill her. Rosamund Pike will be a slightly tougher sell. I more saw her in the beginning half of the book....but if you have read it, you know why I say the beginning. And where the heck could they potentially be casting Neil Patrick Harris? I have a tough time picturing "Barney Stinson" being in a dramatic role. Not saying that the song and dance man couldn't do it ;-)

I'm glad I read Gone Girl, if for no other reason than to say I did. I liked it, but I didn't like it. I do not know how one can contradict themselves so, but I can. So if you read it, I don't know what your response will be......

No comments:

Post a Comment