Monday, August 19, 2013

Review: I, Claudia

Title: I, Claudia
Author: Charity Bishop
Publisher: Createspace by Amazon

******************************
Synopsis from back
The nightmares began in my childhood… Since then, they have grown stronger. Horrific dreams of blood and death, of dark specters and betrayal haunt me. Mother wants me to become a seer in the temple of Minerva. I would much rather marry the dashing military commander, Pilate, instead. Every augur that sees me, fears me. They know, as I do, that something is different about me, something I cannot control, and that will haunt me until a Jewish messiah takes my hand in Judea. Not even he can save me from what lies ahead in Rome, nor, I fear, can he save Pilate from a choice that will change the course of history forever. My name is Claudia, and this is my story.

*********************************

Sometimes in life, you read a book that is just...good. It is often a book that is well written, well thought out, defies any particular genre, and provides enjoyment. This past Sunday, I was able to read I, Claudia in under a day and I must say, it was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Knowing how much time the author has put into this, and how honest and brutal she is about her own writing, Charity would not have even self-published I, Claudia if it wasn't worth reading. I am of the opinion that it is most definitely worth reading.

In the Bible, Pilate is not talked about much, except for the most important part--Christ's death. However, I always did find myself wondering about Pilate. What was his story? What about his wife? Charity does an admirable job at giving them voices. As well as the characters of her creation. If you read an interview with her, she will say that writing Caligula was her favorite to write....and I can tell. However, just because you sense one or two favorites, NONE of the characters lack personality. The women are strong, the villains are evil, there is a story to each and every one of them.

People like Mary, Martha and Lazarus, Barrabas, Caiaphas , the Centurion (with the sick servant), Peter....all can be found in some small way within the pages. There are these biblical figures as well as historical ones. All of it is historically accurate. And while we don't completely what happened to Pontius Pilate, Charity does a commendable job with ending the story of Pilate and Claudia in a way that seems plausible.

I have to admit, what my favorite thing was the mystical element. Claudia had a reputation for seeing things, and frankly, I loved the scenes where her soul was in a battle with Good and Evil. When God is involved, and yet one is entertaining dark magic, there is always a war. I, Claudia is a book that definitely shows what is the good side....and the evil is just plain creepy. 

I, Claudia did what I am sure Charity wanted it to do: it made me think about Pilate. I really got into the head of the man who "wiped his hands of Jesus" and who turned him over to the Jews......I became even more sympathetic for him than I already was. Because the book does not end with the Crucifixion (which frankly, I was fearful it would), I enjoyed reading the battle going on in Pilate's head. His struggling with feeling guilty and yet also feeling like he did the right thing for Rome.

See what I mean? It's a deep book and yet an easy one. With romance and passion, betrayal and mystery and sacrifice, I, Claudia is a book I will recommend to my friends. And to all of you =) 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! Anxious to read this one - just getting it in the mail was a treat. :)

    Glad you recommend it, Ella. :)

    ReplyDelete